If you are in the process of having a tooth extracted, or if you plan on having an extraction in the future, it is important to plan in advance to ensure your recovery process has the best chance of success in as little time as possible. If you are a smoker, you should quit the bad habit immediately. If you cannot quit, be sure to stop smoking at least 48 hours before and after the procedure.
Have a plan set in place for what to do both before and after the tooth extraction. Take the necessary steps to prepare your mouth in advance. Listed below are some common treatment methods for healing after a tooth extraction:
– Get plenty of rest. Your body has a wonderful ability to heal itself, but don’t waste its precious resources elsewhere. If possible, avoid all types of strenuous labor and exercise.
– Listen to the instructions laid out by your dentist and follow them to the letter.
– If any complications should arise during your recovery, contact your dentist as soon as you can.
– Swelling is common in your face and mouth, so use ice packs to minimize inflammation.
– Take any medications exactly as prescribed by our oral surgeons. If any pain persists, never increase the dosage, but rather you should contact your dentist.
– Oftentimes the anesthesia will make eating or drinking difficult. To avoid choking, do not eat anything before the anesthesia wears off.
If you need a tooth extraction, please stop by Ocean State Oral Surgery Center, L.L.C. for an oral exam from Dr. Ercole, Dr. Geunes, and our team at our amazing oral surgery facility in North Providence, Rhode Island. You can book a visit with us by calling 401-353-1515. Come align your oral health care goals and your dreams with us!